Danny's EDCI Blog

Just doing what I'm supposed to do.

5 – Peer Review

Hi guys,

Thanks for sending me your interactive learning resource! I think teaching students how to use R is a great idea. I think it is great to introduce R at high school level instead of university, as students will be better prepared for university. However, it might be too complex for grade 12 students.

For example, in Lesson 2, you mention teaching grade 12 students to program a matrix in R. Matrix algebra typically is not taught until university (as one of the more difficult 1st-year courses), so I wonder if your interactive learning resource is better suited for a 1st year math/engineering demographic instead.

Here are some more thoughts/suggestions I had when reading through your resource”

• You might not need to teach the grade 12 students ‘the birth’ of R, as that won’t be too relevant for learning and using the software, especially for a 1-2 hour lesson.
  • Maybe include some sample calculations you would like the student’s to do in Lesson 1!

I think your assessment method of midterm-style quizzes is a good idea for this kind of topic; but again, might be too intense or stressful for grade 12 students given the lack of background information on calculus, matrix algebra, and programming. Hopefully in a few years high school curriculum will be a little more advanced.

Overall, I think you chose a great and unique topic and the overall lesson is great, just change the target student!

Danny.